Wednesday, April 17, 2013

My Life as a Mythological Detective






My life as a mythological detective

          Since my first semester at MSU, I had tried in vain to take this mythology class with professor Sexson.  My friend Jon loved professor Sexson and insisted that I should take this class.  After four failed attempts, I finally got into the class this semester.  This time, registering for the class was so easy that I could not believe it, maybe it was destiny.  Yes, I was meant to be in this class this semester because I have learned that the past possesses the present, and my past was what brought me to this class. 

          Since myth is the precedent behind every action, I know that there are so many reasons why I have waited all this time to be able to take this class.  Here is how the realizations of my mythological life begin.  As I listened to professor Sexson lecture during my first day of class, I knew why Jon had insisted I take this class.  Professor’s Sexson words sound like sweet melodies to the ear and I was astonished and hypnotize by his charisma.  He is a mythological being, I tought, he is wise in a way I have not seen or heard before.  I have met many interesting and well-educated people in my life, but there is that non-se qua about him, that makes me think, “yeah I love him.”  

          Our first assignment was to take a picture hugging a tree.  I remember that particular task because I was late for class and I had to sit in a different spot that day.  As a result of my tardiness, I had no idea about the nature of the assignment, so I wrote a note to the person sitting to my right and ask him what was I suppose to do.  He smiled and wrote back “I will explain after class”.  After class, he introduced himself as Aaron, explained the assignment, and offered to take the picture.  We met for the picture taking, and he took a terrible picture of me, while I did a great job with his.  Life is not fair, I know, but I still like him.  The purpose of this assignment was to identify with a tree, to think what life could that tree have had in the past.  Was he just a tree?  Could the tree be a mythological being?  I wanted to believe that the tree was the reincarnation of Dante Alighieri.  Oh, Dante, who with his precious Divine Comedy change my religious believes.  With this in mind, I hugged my tree.  Although my divine tree gave me no feedback, I thought about the things that he had seen in his lifetime.  I would love to hear some of his stories.

          After that photo shoot, Aaron and I became friends.  He told me that he had a dog; I told him that I was allergic to dogs.  His response was quite simply “that is a tragedy.”  His dog’s name is Annabel which made me laugh, my mom’s name is Annabel too!  What I never told Aaron is how my mom got her name.  My mother, who was born in Ecuador, was named after the famous poem “Annabel Lee” by Allan Poe.  A little history is required to explain the connection.  As the world was at war with Germany during the Second World War, Ecuador was involved in its own territorial battle with its neighbor Peru.  Seeing that Peru was allied with the German Nazis’, Ecuador chose to align itself with the Allied Forces, which included the United States.  As a result, during this time there was a lot of North American sentiment in Ecuador, and that is how the poem “Annabel Lee” became so famous.  My Grandmother loves poetry, she memorized the poem and decided to name my mom Annabel Lee.  However, when she went to register the name, the “Lee” part was not accepted by the authorities as it did not qualify as a Spanish name.   How mythological is that?

          One day I met Aaron’s dog, who’s full name happens to be Annabel Lee.  When I finally met the canine Annabel Lee and saw her face, I knew there was something special about her.  She had the sweetest look I had ever seen, her eyes were so human that it was scary.  Every time I looked at her, I wanted to hug and kiss her.  This was an odd feeling since I am allergic to dogs and for that reason have never been crazy about them.  She made me feel in a way I had not felt in a long time about a dog, or even a human being.  It almost felt maternal instincts, which had been previously absent, growing within me.  From that day on, all I wanted was a dog.  The feeling was infections, I had become dog crazy!!.  After a while, I started to think about my mythology class and how anything is possible. Maybe Annabel Lee was the reincarnation of a human being, perhaps someone dear to me?  There were too many coincidences.  How is it that I got into this class so easily this semester? How is it that I was late for class one day and there was only one seat left in the whole class and it happened to be next to Aaron?   How is that his dog had the same name as my mother?  And how is it that this dog inspired feelings within me that I had never experienced before?  My reaction at the beginning was that Annabel inspired me to have these feelings because the relationship that Aaron and her share.  It was beautiful to see those two together; Aaron was so sweet and loving to her that maybe my feelings were just a reaction to their love.  Not long after my first meeting with Annabel Lee, she started getting sick and in less than one week she passed away.  It was very sad.  I did not know how to express my sympathy to Aaron.  I knew he had lost someone he loved, but at the same time I felt like I had lost somebody very dear to my heart too.  After she died, all I could think about was Ovid and all the stories that we read and talked about in class.  The tales of how humans were turned into animals or plants. I started thinking about Actaeon, Io, Daphne, Narcissus, and Eco.  Sadly, everything made sense; I was to be in this class this semester to learn the mythological ways of my daily life. 

          It was my destiny to be in this class this semester to meet Professor Sexson, Annabel Lee, and finally, Frederick Tuner.  If I were to take this class any other semester, I may have met Frederick, but I would not have had the opportunity to hear his poetry about the Galapagos Island.  I know that even though Frederick’s poetry is beautiful, I don’t believe that anybody else could have appreciated it in the way I did.  Every word he recited had a meaning to me; the meaning that a person can only understand when you know the subject well.  I felt like Delia del Carril when she read Neruda’s poems “los versos del capitan” and understood that her husband was having an affair with another woman. Frederick’s recital was a ‘once in a lifetime’ experiences and as professor Sexson says, “it doesn’t get better than this.”

No comments:

Post a Comment